February 2, 2009

Visiting Down Under – Sydney

I was lucky enough to take a 10-day vacation to Sydney, Australia. My flight from San Francisco down to Sydney was a travel highlight in itself. I had the window seat on the upper deck of a B747. As we came into Sydney around 6am, I got a birds-eye view of Sydney Harbour and it’s two famous sites the Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House.

Exploring the city by foot in my first choice. Since this is the first time I was visiting Sydney,I spent the first few days just staying in the downtown area and just walking the area around the Opera House, Botancial Gardens, Circular Quay and the Darling Harbor All the major attractions are within walking distances among each other - the botanical gardens, Opera House, Harbour Bridge, Circular Quay, Sydney Harbour . Being in a foreign city generally means I walk for miles and miles. I didn't use any public transportation...just walked, and walked, and walked.












There are many restaurants around Circular Quay and you can catch ferry to other parts of Sydney from here. The amount of shoreline in Sydney is quite large, and taking ferry to places little outside Sydney seemed to be the norm.

When I was walking around the ferry terminal in circular quay, there was some aboriginal music and performance. Everyone seemed quite excited to watch.





The next day I visited the Bondi Beach. You can read about it here.

Outside Sydney, we took a day trip to the Blue Mountains. You can read about it here.